It would be almost impossible to never run into someone who is involved in network marketing. But, there are many people out there that are still skeptical of direct sales. Some of the fear and leeriness is based on misconceptions and incorrect information.
Here are some interesting facts. An average of 74% of Americans has purchased good and services through a direct selling company. 81.8% of direct sales reps are female. The annual turnover rate is 56%. So more than half change companies or ultimately quit. If you find a company with high values and excellent products or services people need, you can absolutely succeed in network marketing.
I’m going to start by asking you to write down what you think network marketing is. Succeeding in network marketing has a different meaning for everyone. It could mean having more freedom and being your own boss. For others, it’s about selling a service they love and helping people. It can even just be a way for someone to make an extra thousand dollars a month to supplement their income. Whatever it means to you and whatever your goal is you have to have a clear mental picture of that and have it written down where you can see it daily.
One of the biggest mistakes I see network marketers make early on is that get so super excited that they run out and message everyone and anyone about their products or service without even connecting and having a conversation to build repair. Huge mistake guys! It’s o.k. If you have already done this, most of you were not entrepreneurs and had no business experience. As long as you change and refocus, you can still succeed.
Remember this. Its all 100% about getting to know people and building relationships. Yes, it takes longer, but at least you have a chance they may buy or work with you if they know like and trust you.
Here are my 10 Simple Tips for succeeding in network marketing:
- Have clear goals on what you want to achieve in your company. Map out a clear action plan. Sit with a business consultant, someone on the outside who can help you.
- Tell your story, not the company’s account. Why are you here? Where are you going, sell your vision? They are likely to want to learn more. Slow down before moving ahead.
- Get your goals straight, clarify your vision, define what your passionate about in the company you are representing.
- Be a walking advertisement for your products. If its weight loss and health then you have to look good and be in shape. If you sell jewelry, wear it all the time. If you are a makeup artist, go out with makeup and look good. If you don’t, why would anyone buy from you? You will never be able to convince anyone.
- Work hard. Follow a schedule and work harder than you would at your job. Be creative and think out of the box.
- If you want people to join you and then follow you, be a leader and do it first. Show up early stay late and never ask people to do what you have not, or are not willing to do yourself.
- Invest in yourself. The most successful people invested in coaches, courses, mentors and professional consultants to guide them.
- Leverage social media. This can be huge in building your business. If you don’t know how hiring an expert will be worth the investment.
- Understand your business is not about you. Your product or service is there to help your customer solve a problem or enhance their lives.
- Believe in yourself. When you have a positive mindset you attract positive things and people into your life. Work on a personal development program. Read or listen to something every single day.
It’s important not to compare yourself to other people. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Build your business on a solid foundation, not sand. Be your authentic self and focus on your journey, not anyone else’s. Get your personal story down and tell it over and over again. Follow a system that has worked for someone who has done it. In network marketing, duplication and consistency is the key to longevity.