I don think I have ever been the type of person who hides behind who I am well. Pretty much, I am a what you see is what you get kind of gal. When I first started in business in the male-dominated financial industry, I refused to wear suits, I loved bright colors, and I wouldn’t carry my laptop, but my clients loved me. I learned early on it was better to just be me then conform to what other people say you should be to be successful. Yes, there are times we all have to be more reserved and “professional,” but the real me somehow always comes through. Although, I have gotten more reserved and composed as I have gotten older. There are not too many things people don’t know about me at this point in my life. I think when you are a leader or a mentor, especially, you have to be real with people so they can see they can be themselves and make it too.
Here are 7 things you didn’t know about me:
- I am afraid of heights and small spaces and I have run out of airplanes once or twice.
- I do not like to cry or get emotional in public.
- I am easy going but if you make me lose trust in you, as they say, you are dead to me. I am done.
- I went to Catholic High School and wore scotch plaid skirts with fishnet stockings and pumps (It was the 80’s).
- I am once sprayed my frying pan with Pledge and made my kids pancakes in it.
- I am 50% Irish and 50% Italian, Barbieri is my married name.
- I hate rides, I scream loudly on baby rollercoasters and even virtual rides my kids won’t go on with me.
I think as women we need to get together with our girlfriends and just be ourselves as often as possible. Dance, sing, watch movies and have some cocktails and just let loose. Reveal more about ourselves and bond more. Life isn’t all fake and perfect like social media. It’s real and awesome and ugly at times. We are funny, we have phobias, we are silly. But it’s all good as long as you are just you.
Let me know the 7 things people don’t know about You? HERE