FEAR – An unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.
Fear is triggered in the most primitive part of our brain. It is the part that is responsible for altering us and protecting us from danger. Fear can be so paralyzing it can prevent us from moving forward. People can be afraid of so many different things. In business, there are a few that keep us from stepping out of our comfort zone in particular, which then keeps us from hitting our goals and reaching our dreams. The most common fears for entrepreneurs are fear of failure, fear of success, and fear of rejection.
My biggest fear has alwys been putting myself out there. I have always shined the light on others in my business but was always uncomfortable with shining the light on myself. I have no problem giving credit away then bringing attention to myself. We all experience fear in different ways. We get flushed, butterflies in our stomach, sweaty palms, belive me I have had all of those hings happen to me before. When you are fearful or insecure, remind yourself that you’re simply feeling what most other people experience. You are probably doing something that is new for you or that you are excited about. Fear is a normal feeling, and I would be more concerned if you didn’t experience it. Especially when you are doing something you are passionate about. We feel really excited about it but then all of a sudden those thoughts creep into our heads. “What if I can’t do it? “What are people going to think about me?” Those feelings are totally normal because we care about what we are doing.
In order to move your business forward and grow you will have to tackle the things that you are afraid of and step out of your comfort zone so you can move forward. Just think about it, what’s worst thing that can happen? You probably aren’t going to die, unless your business goal involves extreme sports then I can’t promise you anything, and what if it goes well and you do awesome?
“Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.” Benjamin Franklin
Here are 4 no-nonsense tips that will help you to embrace and overcome FEAR now:
- Have a personal development routine – This is one of the most important things that I have ever learned. You have to work on your brain. You have to Choose what you are weakest at or what is keeping you from moving forward first and listen to audio or read books about it, mediation totally helps to. Put time aside to do something every day. It can be fer, then it can be self-confidence, whatever it is you have to work on it daily in order to change your mindset.
- Conquer what you fear the most first – Usually what you fear the most have to greatest potential return in your business. So that means you need o do that thing that you are afraid of in order to attain success.
- Do something new – Trying new things helps you to build a muscle and gets you used o stepping out of your comfort zone. Pick something you struggle with and try it a few times until you get comfortable. Just keep doing it and when you feel more comfortable move on to the next thing! Just keep moving forward.
- Embrace the race – While some deadlines are absolute, others are self-imposed. Instead of getting weighed down by demands, focus on what you can do today to move the business forward. Typically there are three choices: move forward, stay still or go back. So take a look at your on your to-do list, choose something, particularly one of the things that are causing you fear and anxiety and do it first. I highly recommend the book ‘Eat that Frog’ by Brian Tracy to help you with this one.
- Do not overcomplicate things – By making things more complicated than they need to be you make yourself more afraid and then you become frozen. Ask yourself what the most simple and straightforward solution to getting myself to just move forward.